Monday, December 3, 2012

*New* Snowball Wreath to Ring in 2013


* ➸ *

Since our Snowball Wreath from nearly 2 years ago has been so popular and featured in the Dec/Jan 2013 issue of Ladies Home Journal, Andrea and I decided to do a spinoff of the original.  See the orginal post here.   I went back home to WV this past weekend to do a Crimson Clover jewelry show and we were able to get together and craft with our friends to create this new version.  We love how they both turned out.  I did mine with a neutral palette since that is how I decorate for the holidays and Andrea's version is in traditional Christmas colors.

➸ Here is how we made them:
1.  We started with styrofoam wreath forms and wrapped them. I wrapped mine in jute webbing and Andrea wrapped hers in ribbon to match her yarn.  We used burlap on our original wreaths.
2.  Then the fun part begins....wrapping yarn around styrofoam balls of varying sizes.  Be sure to have lots of snacks on hand because this takes patience and a lot of time.  Did I mention it takes a lot of patience?  Use hot glue to secure the yarn.
3.  Since we both have a love for paper, we decided to make paper lollies for the center of our wreath.  You need 2 pieces of same sized paper and fold them accordion style.  We used 12"x12" scrapbook paper.  Once you get one piece of paper folded accordion style, you fold it in half long ways and hot glue it to secure. It will make a paper fan.  Remember those from when you were a kid?  You make your second fan  and all you do is hot glue both fans together to form a full circle.

4.  We used a cardboard cake plate as the base of our paper lollies and hot glued it on the front of the wreath.  Then you just start randomly gluing your yarn balls to the wreath form.  We also added bells to fill in the spaces but you can use ornaments or whatever you like depending on what theme you go with.  And voila.....a gorgeous spin off of the Two Junk Chix snowball wreath!!


I used a grayish Houndstooth paper for the center of my wreath since I went with a neutral palette.  And then added one of my favorite elements....coffee filters!

Andrea used two sizes of paper lollies {thanks to my mad folding skills} and layered hers on top of one another.  I love how this turned out.  Andrea used a metal star and glitter snowflake on top of her lollies.  Gorgeous!!
Here is how they look on our front porches.  We are so happy with how they turned out.  We took something that we and everyone else loved and changed it up a bit to create these unique and original wreaths to adorn our home.


Giddy up and Happy Crafting,
tia & andrea




3 comments:

  1. I finally made mine from your post. I would love for you to come see. http://nickiehoffer.blogspot.com/2012/12/pinterest-snowball-wreath.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this with us Nickie!!! They look amazing!!! Great job!!! xoxo......tia & andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 8 year old daughter and I made one based on the 2 year old design and just hung it! We even made her brothers help by wrapped our based in the white yarn. Check me out on pinterest lcmmom26 - Laura Martin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails